Mark Gidluck Memorial Bursary
The Mark Gidluck Memorial Bursary was established in November 23, 2009 to recognize an Eastside Youth Soccer Association (EYSA) Under 18 male soccer player who is entering a post secondary institution to further his education. The bursary was established by the Gidluck family in memory of Mark Gidluck.
Mark was a long time player member of EYSA and contributed to each of the teams he played on in many ways. Mark started playing very young, in Adelaide Park Churchill, and continued to participate in both the indoor and outdoor seasons until he finished his youth soccer career in U-18. Mark’s entire youth soccer career was played with EYSA. Mark played on many teams that succeeded in making it to the playoffs of many tournaments and City and Provincial competitions. Mark was a dedicated competitor and a welcome addition to all his teams.
One of Mark’s claims to fame was his very athletic front flip throw in. There were more than a few referees and coaches who tried to figure that one out or challenged its legality. Mark did not see it as a big deal. Another fun way to play!
- Eastside Youth Soccer Association (EYSA)
- Completed nomination forms should be mailed to:
Eastside Youth Soccer Association Awards
c/o EYSA Board
2417 Ewart Avenue
Saskatoon, SK S7J 1Y5
- A certificate from Eastside Youth Soccer Association Inc.
Who is Eligible:
- Any Eastside Youth Soccer Association (EYSA) U18 male soccer player who is registered and accepted at a post-secondary institution in Canada.
- Players who have played in EYSA for at least 4 years.
- U-18 players who play for teams in the SAS Adult league remain eligible.
- Eastside players who have played for other zones because there was no Eastside team will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Bursary will be awarded upon confirmation of registration by a post-secondary institution.
- Nominations must be submitted, in writing, to the EYSA board by the closing date on the website.
- Any member of EYSA may make nominations.
- A player may nominate himself.
- Nomination forms will be available on the website.
- Nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Committee made up of a representative from the Gidluck family, or their designate, and two representatives from EYSA.
- EYSA Board shall select one of their members to act as chair of the Selection Committee for the duration of the selection process.
- The chair shall direct the process to completion, report back to the board and ensure that the award winner is in attendance at the chosen presentation forum.
- EYSA Treasurer shall organize the cheque for presentation.
- A date, time, and place that will accommodate the Selection Committee will be selected to review the nominations submitted.
- Committee members should strive to reach a consensus for final candidate selection.
- If consensus cannot be attained, then a secret ballot will be held and the candidate with the majority of votes will be the award winner for that year.
Candidates will be selected based on the following criteria
- Team spirit;
- Tenacity and hard work, and
- A sense of humour that supports his team mates and coaches.
Candidates must submit the following:
- Completed application Form;
- Confirmation of post secondary registration and acceptance from the post-secondary institution;
- Supporting testimonials, if desired.
- The award will be presented to the recipient at a volunteer celebration, or other designated meeting, each year by a member of the Gidluck family or their designate.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right not to give out the award.
- EYSA shall make the nomination papers available on the website.
- EYSA shall choose a chair for the Selection Committee and an additional member in April.
- The Chair of the Selection Committee’s address shall be posted on the website as the contact for this award nomination.
- A call for nominations should be made by EYSA at Outdoor registration and on the front page of the website in April/May of each year.
- A current address for the application forms must be posted on the front of the website in April/May of each year.
- An explanation of the award process and direction to the approved documentation should be included under the Mark Gidluck Memorial Bursary on the general web site.
- All nominations must be postmark or email dated before the identified closing date of the year of nomination.
- EYSA shall designate their representative on the Selection Committee before the closing date of the award.
- The Selection Committee shall meet shortly after the closing date to review and identify a winning candidate.
- Presentation of the award at a time and place identified by the EYSA Board.
Download the Application Form